Risk management is not a policy—it’s really a way of life. There is a lot of data out there when it comes to malpractice cases, which allows us to decipher what we truly need to be protected against or aware of as anesthesiologists. To help us understand the information that is available to us, specifically how to ensure you have good risk management practices in place, is Jennifer Wiggins, CEO of Aegis Malpractice Solutions.
Listen in as Jennifer shares the average claim payout for a malpractice case, as well as what anesthesiologists are getting sued for most. You will learn the importance of having a good bedside manner, how long it takes for a case to be resolved, and how to positively impact your relationships with your clients.
What You’ll Learn In Today’s Episode:
- What the data tells us about the average claim payout for malpractice cases.
- The highest amount filed for a malpractice payout.
- How many malpractice cases have been filed in the past five years.
- What anesthesiologists are getting sued for most and how to avoid that.
- The biggest disadvantage anesthesiologists have and how to remedy that.
- Why a claim can hinder your future employment, even if you are cleared.
- How a case is resolved and the steps required along the way.
Ideas Worth Sharing:
“If you come across as ‘I’m not in a hurry, I’m competent, I care about you, and I want to make sure you have the best outcome possible and that your family is communicated with’—that goes a really long way.” – Jennifer Wiggins
“In order to have effective risk management, you first have to know what people are getting sued for.” – Jennifer Wiggins
“If the patient likes you, they are less likely to sue you.”- Jennifer Wiggins
Resources In Today’s Episode:
- Jennifer Wiggins: Website | LinkedIn | Twitter
- Aegis Malpractice Insights
- Understanding Occurrence vs. Claims-Made Malpractice Coverage
- Tail Insurance FAQs
- Understanding the Malpractice Claim Process
- How Much Coverage Should I Have?
Share The Love:
If you like the Anesthesia & Pain Management Success podcast …
Never miss an episode by subscribing via Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Google Podcasts, or by RSS!