If you’re a physician, you can earn CME from this content! Reflect on how this podcast applies to your day-to-day and earn AMA PRA Category 1 CMEs here: https://earnc.me/hRRtVh
It’s no secret that healthcare billing is incredibly complicated. Anesthesia has its own system for tracking units of care provided and assigning costs for care. So, how does the flow of money through the healthcare system work? And how can we unravel the tangled web of payment for anesthesia services? In this episode, we have a republished conversation I had with Devona Slater, an expert in anesthesia billing and coding, where she shares her unparalleled advice to equip you for future practice management success.
Listen in as we explore components that overlap with the surgical realm (CPT codes), as well as ASA units that are anesthesia-specific. You will learn what you need to know about charging for time for anesthesia patients, the importance of double-checking paperwork, and how to negotiate contracts with insurance companies.
What You’ll Learn In Today’s Episode:
- How anesthesia is billed.
- Why Devona has spent 30 years fighting on behalf of physicians when it comes to clinical decisions made for economic outcomes.
- What you need to know about time units.
- Why checking all paperwork is crucial.
- The importance of closing a case and billing before breaking away due to other events (e.g. vacation, life events, etc.).
- Whether there is always an incentive for insurance companies to underpay.
- How to negotiate contracts.
- What you need to understand about a master contract.
Ideas Worth Sharing:
Resources In Today’s Episode:
- Devona Slater: Website
- Private Equity, Industry Consolidation, and Practice Value In Anesthesia w. Stuart Neiberg
Share The Love:
If you like the Anesthesia & Pain Management Success podcast …